#rpgaday #rpgaday2019 - RPG a Day - "Triumph"

Day 24 - Triumph

As I was sitting in the washroom, holding my thumb under running cold water to stop the bleeding from almost chopping it off, I started thinking about the concept of triumph in RPG. 
Weird place, I know.

Triumph as an act of destruction 

If you're playing D&D or any of the mainstream games you are fighting bad guys and killing monsters. It's just the nature of the game. The party will consider it a triumph when they manage to slay the Big Bad Evil Guy or a dragon or some other dangerous creature.


Bishop to E3! Check!

Triumph as a positive act

My little triumph was that I still have my thumb, although we'll see the exact extent of damage in a few days.

Escaping a collapsing cavern seems like a triumph to me. O
finding that lost child and returning it to the grieving parents. 
Or preventing an armed conflict. 
Or navigating the court intrigue in a way where everyone is equally unhappy but the long term consequences will have a net positive.

Maybe, just maybe, not every triumph has to involve murder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silvery Moon Tavern - review

#rpgaday #rpgaday2019 - RPG a Day - "Examine"

RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha quick start - review